MECAIR was developed from codes for coherence analysis of gravity and
topography data, written by Tim Bechtel and
Don Forsyth at Brown University:
- Forsyth, D.W., Subsurface loading and estimates of the flexural rigidity
of continental lithosphere, J. Geophys. Res., 90, 2623-2632, 1985.
- Bechtel, T.D., D.W. Forsyth, and C.J. Swain, Mechanisms of isostatic
compensation in the East African Rift, Kenya, Geophys. J. Int., 90, 445-465,
- Ebinger, C.J., T.D. Bechtel, D.W. Forsyth, and C.O. Bowin, Effective elastic
plate thickness beneath the East African and Afar plateaus and dynamic compensation
of the uplifts, J. Geophys. Res., 94, 2883-2901, 1989.
- M.T. Zuber, T.D. Bechtel, and D.W. Forsyth, Effective elastic thickness of the
lithosphere and mechanisms of isostatic compensation in Australia, J. Geophys.
Res., 94, 9353-9367, 1989.
- Bechtel, T.D., D.W. Forsyth, V.L. Sharpton, and R.A.F. Grieve, Variations
in effective elastic thickness of the North American lithosphere, Nature,
343, 636-638, 1990.
The codes use an iterative algorithm for two-dimensional maximum
entropy power spectral estimation described in:
- Lim, J.S., and N.A. Malik, A new algorithm for two-dimensional maximum
entropy power spectrum estimation, IEEE T. Acoust. Speech, 29, 401-413,
- Malik, N.A., and J.S. Lim, Properties of two-dimensional maximum
entropy power spectrum estimates, IEEE T. Acoust. Speech, 30, 788-798,
References Describing or Using MECAIR:
- Lowry, A.R., and R.B. Smith,
Flexural rigidity of the Basin and Range-Colorado Plateau-Rocky Mountain
transition from coherence analysis of gravity and topography,
J. Geophys. Res., 99, 20,123-20,140, 1994.
- Lowry, A.R., and R.B. Smith,
Strength and rheology of the western U.S. Cordillera,
J. Geophys. Res., 100, 17,947-17,963, 1995.
- Armstrong, G.,
Potential Field Signatures and Flexural Rigidity of the Lithosphere in
Ireland, Ph.D. Dissertation, National University of Ireland, Galway, 1997.
- Stagpoole, V.,
A Geophysical Study of the Northern Taranaki Basin, New Zealand,
Ph.D. Dissertation, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, 1998.
- Velicogna, I.,
Techniques for Inversion of Geophysical Data: Coherence Analysis of Gravity
and Topography Data, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Trieste, Trieste,
Italy, 131pp., 1998.
- Wang, Y., and J.C. Mareschal, Elastic thickness of the lithosphere in
the central Canadian Shield, Geophys. Res. Lett., 26, 3033-3036, 1999.
- Boness, N.L.,
Determination of Effective Elastic Thickness in the North American Craton and
Rheological Implications for the Intraplate Lithosphere, M.Sc. Thesis,
University of Indiana, Bloomington, 157pp., 2000.
- Friend, D.S.,
Flexural Rigidity of the Northern Rocky Mountains: Relationship to Crustal
Domains and Deformational Style, M.Sc. Thesis, University of Montana,
- Lowry, A.R., N.M. Ribe, and R.B. Smith,
Dynamic elevation of the Cordillera, western United States,
J. Geophys. Res., 105, 23,371-23,390, 2000.
- Armstrong, G.D., and A.B. Watts, Spatial variations in Te in the southern
Appalachians, eastern United States, J. Geophys. Res., 106, 22,009-22,026,
- Wannamaker, P.E., J.M. Bartley, A.F. Sheehan, C.H. Jones, A.R. Lowry,
T.A. Dimitru, T.A. Ehlers, W.S. Holbrook, G.L. Farmer, M.J. Unsworth, D.B. Hall,
D.S. Chapman, D.A. Okaya, B.E. John, and J.A. Wolfe,
The Great Basin-Colorado Plateau transition in central Utah: An interface between
active extension and stable interior, in The Geological Transition: Colorado
Plateau to Basin and Range, Erskine, M.C., J.E. Faulds, J.M. Bartley, and
P. Rowley (Eds.), UGA/AAPG Guideb. 30/GB78, 1-38, 2001.
- Daly, E.,
Multiresolution coherence and techniques to understand the tectonics and rheology
of the Irish Atlantic margin, Ph.D. Dissertation, National University of Ireland,
- Tessema, A.,
Geophysical Interpretation of the East African Rift System, Ph.D.
Dissertation, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa,
- Flueck, P.,
Contributions to the Geodynamics of Western Canada, Ph.D. Dissertation,
University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada, 2003.
- Fluck, P., R.D. Hyndman, and C. Lowe,
Effective elastic thickness Te of the lithosphere in western
Canada, J. Geophys. Res., 108(B9), 2430, doi:10.1029/2002JB002201, 2003.
- Swain, C.J., and J.F. Kirby, The effect of 'noise' on estimates of the
elastic thickness of the continental lithosphere by the coherence method,
Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(11), doi 10.1029/2003GL017070, 2003.
- Audet, P., and J. C. Mareschal, Variations in elastic thickness in
the Canadian Shield, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 226(1-2), 17-31,
...Return to Tony Lowry's home page...