Recent Invited Talks:
- Tuesday, 16 May, 2017: "EarthScope illumination of melts, volatiles, dynamics and structure of a
continent", EarthScope National Meeting 2017, 4:00pm, Dena'ina Convention Center, Anchorage, Alaska.
- Thu-Fri (TBA), 11-12 February, 2016: "Thermo- & hydration dynamics of the lithosphere from combined seismic, potential
field and petrophysical constraints", Workshop on Integrated Imaging of the Earth,
Geological Society of London, Burlington House, London, UK.
- Friday, 2 October, 2015: "Water Tectonics and the Roots of Utah's Earthquakes", Utah State University Sunrise Session,
8:00am, Little America Hotel, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Thursday, 4 December, 2014: "Water, Lithology, Temperature and Rheology of the U.S.
Continental Lithosphere", Guy F. Atkinson Distinguished Lecture Series, Department
of Geology & Geophysics, University of Utah. 4:00pm, 295 FASB, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Tuesday, 22 October, 2013: "What Controls Deformation in the Western United States",
for the Earth Science Seminar, Utah Valley University. Noon, Department of Earth Science, UVU,
- Wednesday, 4 September, 2013: "EarthScope Illuminates Ductile Flow Properties of the
US Continental Lithosphere", for the Earth Science and Engineering Seminar Series,
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. 4:15pm, KAUST, Thuwal, Saudi Arabia.
- Monday, 22 April, 2013: "Imaging Ductile Flow: What EarthScope Seismic Data Tell Us
About Flow Rheology of the Lithosphere", for the National Geophysical Research Institute
of India's AcSIR Talk series. 3:00-4:00 pm, New Conference Hall, Main Building, NGRI campus,
- Friday, 19 April, 2013: "GPS, Gravity and Seismic Expression of Postseismic Transient
Deformation, Slow Fault Slip and Tectonic Tremor: Implications for the Seismic Cycle",
for the National Geophysical Research Institute of India's Institute Talk series.
3:00-4:00 pm, S. B. Hall, NGRI campus, Hyderabad, India.
- Thursday, 11 April, 2013: "Challenges (And Promise) of In-Situ Lithospheric Rheology
from Isostatic Strength Analyses", Invited talk for the European Geosciences Union
General Assembly 2013. 8:30am, rm G10, Austria Center Vienna, Austria.
- Friday, 13 January, 2012: "Why Mountains Are Where They Are: Quartz Marks the Spot",
for Northwestern University's Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences' Seminar
Series, Locy 301, 3:30-4:30pm, Evanston, Illinois.
- Tuesday, 20 September, 2011: "Toward In-Situ Estimation of Lithospheric Rheology",
Contributed Plenary Talk for the
EarthScope Institute: The
Lithosphere-Asthenosphere Boundary. 2:10 pm, World Trade Center, Portland, Oregon.
- Friday, 9 September, 2011: "Why Mountains Are Where They Are: Quartz Marks the Spot",
for Southern Methodist University's Roy M. Huffington Department of Earth Sciences' Seminar
Series, Heroy Bldg rm 153, noon-1pm, Dallas, Texas.
- Wednesday, May 18, 2011: "Crustal Quartz Plays a Surprising Role in Cordilleran
Tectonism", Contributed Plenary Talk for the
National Meeting. 10:10 am, AT&T Conference Center, Austin, Texas.
- Monday, April 12, 2010: "Crustal Quartz: The Seeds of Mountains?",
for the University of Wyoming's Distinguished Lecturer Series. 3:10
pm, Laramie, Wyoming.
- Friday, 25 September, 2009: "Fire, Ice and Explosions: Volcanoes in Our Solar
System", for the USU College of Science'
Windows on the Cosmos Series. 7pm, Emert Auditorium (Room 130), Eccles Science Learning
Center, Logan, Utah.
- Thursday, 6 November, 2008: "EARS: Requirements for Crustal Studies
Research", Keynote address to the Workshop to evaluate EARS and community needs for mantle discontinuity
research using EarthScope data,
USC Campus, Columbia, South Carolina.
- Friday, 30 May, 2008: "Improved Receiver Function Estimates of Moho Using
Spatial Statistics and Gravity (Invited)", Joint Assembly
Meeting of the AGU, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- Friday, 7 March, 2008: "Mass Loading and Rock Flow: New Insights from
Isostatic Analysis", Department of Geological Sciences "Smith
Lecture Series", University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Tuesday, 26 February, 2008: "Slip Processes on Earthquake Faults: Some
Recent Insights from Earth Deformation Measurements", Department of Physics
Colloquium series, Utah State University, Logan, Utah.
- Wednesday, 3 October, 2007: "A Tale of Two Subduction Zones: Geodesy, Fault Slip,
and Implications for Frictional Rheology", Department of Geological Sciences
Seminar, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon.
- Tuesday, 13 March, 2007: "The Role of Fault Friction in Geodetic Transients: A
Tale of Two Subduction Zones", Department of Geology and Geophysics "Seismo
Seminar", University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Thursday, 14 December, 2006: "Gleaning Rheology from Lithospheric Flexural
Strength (Invited)", AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, California.
- Thursday, 14 September, 2006: "Periodic Slow Fault Slip: A Resonant Response to
Small Stress Forcing?", Geosciences Department Colloquium Series, Arizona University,
- Tuesday, 14 March, 2006: "Resonant Slow Fault Slip in Response to Climatic Load
Stress", Keynote address to the
2006 UNAVCO Science Workshop, Denver, Colorado.